How to Get to America’s Cup 2013 and Fleet Week
Wow! Two major water events on the same weekend! A day in the City to see the America’s Cup 2013 and Fleet Week activities can be an opportunity to visit some new areas and do some new things but anyone who knows the area is aware that it can be a nightmare in regards to parking!
While attending these events can be a great thing to do in San Francisco next week, the first thing you should know is parking will be close to impossible near the Marina Green. The following is a list of things that should help you with transportation to these and other events:
- Transit authorities have established some designated weekend event parking lots that are accessible by transit to reach the waterfront. For a list of off the Marina Green parking sites look at the SF Muni brochure.
- There’s an App for that! For information about the San Francisco transportation system, download the San Francisco Public Transportation App for iPhone and Android.
- Nextbus.com and nextmuni.com are both great resources for real-time arrivals of transit vehicles.
- Do you have your Clipper Card? This is your key to most Bay Area transit services including: AC Transit, BART, Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Golden Gate Ferry, Sam Trans and San Francisco Bay Ferry. Purchase Clipper at most Walgreens and the downtown BART/MUNI stations.
- There is lots of information on transportation to the 34th America’s Cup at 511.org.
- Another alternative for transit information within San Francisco is to call 311.
Also, for the October 2012 events the Muni Bus 47L from civic Center and Van Ness Stations is going to provide the best connection to the Marina Green. You can take Muni, bus, or BART to get to the Civic Center Station – the Van Ness Station is served by Muni or bus (not BART).
Other transportation options
Bike to the Americas Cup at the Marina Green – You can bring your own bike and there is free bike parking at the site located at Webster Street in the Marina Green. Another bike parking valet is located on Van Ness Avenue and Beach Street just west of Aquatic Park.
You can Rent a bike from Justin Herman Plaza (near the Ferry Building at the foot of Market Street on the Embarcadero), Union Square, Marina Green, and Golden Gate Park (behind the bandshell along JFK Drive).
For more information about the America’s Cup 2013, Fleet Week and other great things in San Francisco, be sure to sign up for our newsletter.