Things to do in San Francisco – Marina District
The Marina District offers a wide variety of things to do.
The Marina Green is a large expanse of open area along the northern end of the San Francisco peninsula. It offers large lawn areas, hiking trails and an extensive shoreline with spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Marin Headlands, Alcatraz, Angel Island and more.
The Green is a popular place for kite flying, picnicking and bird watching.
Fort Mason Center – check out the Fort Mason website for details
- Fort Mason Center offers a variety of activities for every member of the family. You can laugh until you cry at the BATS Improvization; or see the Magic theatre’s current show; or the Colors of Vision Entertainment & Go productions presentation of the Pulitzer Prize winning play, A Soldier’s Play.
- You can check out the Readers Bookstore which offers new and used books in support of the SF Public Library.
- At Bat – Museo Italo Americano presents a documentary exhibit honoring the contributions of Italian Americans to “America’s favorite pastime”
- Caras/Cuentos – Faces/Stories is presented by the Mexican Museum focusing on portraiture in Latino, Chicano and Latin American Cultures.
- Young Performers presents Alice in Wonderland
And don’t forget to plan on lunch or dinner at a San Francisco tradition offering fresh local food – Greens Restaurant, a vegetarian restaurant with a beautiful dining room right on the bay. www.greensrestaurant.com
The walk from the Marina Green through Crissy Field is easy and takes you along the bay to the base of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Along the way you can stop at the “Warming Hut” and shop for national park memorabilia, get an all natural and sustainable hot dog at the Lets be Frank stand, have a cup of coffee or bring a picnic lunch and dogs are permitted! This is a wonderful stretch of national park land that affords you unparalleled views of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Always be prepared with layers – the fog often comes in and it gets damp and cool.
Those wanting even more exercise can try Planet Granite which offers rock climbing, cardio and yoga right in the heart of the Presidio along Crissy Field.